The Land House ...
Today known as Terra Murata or “Terra enclosed by walls”, it is one of the oldest villages on the island of Procida, located on a steep tuff ridge at about 91 meters above sea level. Today one of the most visited destinations by tourists.
Starting from the 9th century after the first barbarian invasions and the following Saracene became the inhabited nucleus of the island and the only safe refuge for the inhabitants. On the one hand protected by walls overlooking the sea on the other side by the fortified walls, to the visitor it may seem an inviolable place.
For enter the village even today you pass through the Iron Gate present since 1563, it is also possible to see the two long-range cannons dating back to the Neapolitan Republic of 1799 . The land of Casata had two access doors: the Porta della Terra (or Sant’Angelo) and the Porta di Mezz’omo.
Inside the citadel a completely autonomous life took place and separated from the remaining areas of the island, based on the cultivation of fields and textiles.
How to reach Terra Murata
Reachable by bus C2 starting from the port or by taxi.
From the port it takes about 15-20 minutes on foot.